What are Self-Leveling Floors?
Sometimes you will hear people discussing self-leveling floors. What does that really mean? Epoxy self-leveling floors are liquid-rich formulas that will flow and level rather than requiring manipulation by tools to become flat and level. Self levelers typically require a primer, self-leveling base or mortar layer, and a final sealer. The material can be applied on any substrate (concrete, metal, wood, etc.). Epoxy self-leveling floors ultimately deliver a 'look' -- an ultra-smooth, glossy surface.
Details important for a successful epoxy self-leveling floor application:
- The area is inspected prior to installation to determine the right system required for the area and what testing is required. Based on the condition of the slab, use of the space, or age of the building, different tests may be required, such as Calcium Chloride or Relative Humidity testing to determine the moisture content of the slab or contamination.
- Based on the information found from these tests and onsite visits, the proper preparation procedure is determined. This may include mechanical preparation with media blasting, diamond grinding, and removal by jack hammers and chipping guns. If slabs are determined to be contaminated with oils, de-greasing may be necessary to achieve proper adhesion. Preparation is the most important process to ensure there is a proper bond to the substrate.
- Installation of the system will vary depending on the specific system (broadcast, mortar, self-leveler). The common installation procedures vary from screeding and troweling the material, squeegeeing and rolling the material, and broadcasting the material. Installation of the system will vary depending on the specific system being installed. The typical installation procedures for self-leveling materials will include a primer to seal off the substrate; a base or mortar layer that is rake-applied and spike-rolled to assist in air release; and finally a finish sealer to provide wear and chemical resistance.
- All details, including waterproofing, cove base, penetrations, drains, etc., are discussed prior to installation. These will be handled properly to ensure a good quality epoxy floor installation with professionally-trained installation teams.
Color and Style Options
Any color is possible with self-leveling floors. Custom designs, or shapes such as sterile circles and rectangles around operating tables, can be achieved as well. Want a custom logo in your floor? Decals can be sealed into the floor to achieve branding for your company, school, or organization.
Benefits of Self-Leveling Floors
Several industries prefer self-leveling floors for protective and aestetic reasons.
Benefit highlights include:
- Achieving a sleek, high-gloss appearance
- Achieving a flat and level surface to achieve strict tolerances
- Saving time and money with a surface that is easy to clean
- Protecting against chemical attack, thereby extending the life of the floor
- Offering a durable surface that will last and resist impact and abrasion
- Protecting people and property from static shock when formulating and installing with conductive/ESD properties
- Achieving design goals through the availability of multiple finish options
Self-leveling epoxy floors are often popular in industries that require static control properties.
Recommended industries include:
Our team of Territory Managers, Architectural and Engineering Representatives will assist you in choosing the best self-leveling product for your environment.
*Stonlux ESD was chosen by NASA for their highly-sensitive environment. Read more here.
Recommended products include:
- Stonlux ESD - electronics manufacturing and assembly areas, clean rooms
- Stonlux SL - research & development facilities, light manufacturing, clean rooms
- Stonres STR - operating rooms, schools, public spaces
- Stonclad XPRESS - fast-track installations and coolers/freezers